Monday, December 21, 2009

RS Lesson 12/20/09

Chapter 46: The Martyrdom: The Prophet Seals His Testimony with His Blood

What a wonderful 2 years we have had to be taught from the teachings of Joseph Smith. He led an incredible life of service, diligence and obedience, which in turn has blessed us all. He was the perfect example to us of what a true follower of Christ should be even to his death. President Hinckley said, "So certain was [Joseph Smith] of the cause he led, so sure of his divinely given calling, that he placed them above the value of his own life. With prescient knowledge of his forthcoming death, he surrendered himself to those who would deliver him defenseless into the hands of a mob. He sealed his testimony with his life's blood."

The Lord protected Joseph Smith until his mission was complete on the earth. Joseph knew that that time was coming to a close and was then able to confer upon the Twelve Apostles the priesthood keys. I can only imagine how that must of felt to have that burden lifted from his shoulders.

What a blessing Hyrum was to Joseph, to be there with him through the joys and the sorrows and even death. They were a true example of what brotherhood means.

On the day of his death, June 27, 1844, Joseph wrote these words to his wife Emma: "I am very much resigned to my lot, knowing I am justified and have done the best that could be done. Give my love to the children and all my friends...; and as for treason, I know that I have not committed any, and they cannot prove one appearance of anything of the kind, so you need not have any fears that any harm can happen to us on that score. May God bless you all. Amen." He had done what he needed to do, and he was at peace.

I am so grateful for the blessings I have in my life that have come because of Joseph Smith. Because of him I have the gospel, the Book of Mormon and other scripture, the blessings of the priesthood, the temple, knowledge that my family can be together forever and so many, many more. Which only proves to me the truthfulness of the statement made by John Taylor, "Joseph Smith, the Prophet and Seer of the Lord, has done more, save Jesus only, for the salvation of men in this world, than any other man that ever lived in it."

Elisha

No comments:

Post a Comment