Sunday, September 13, 2009

NOT!

I pondered a little on the last post. I noticed something interesting. Maybe this is already obvious to the reader, because I noted its irony...

The four things I listed which Laman and Lemuel murmured about early in their journey were all four expressly false predictions. That got me thinking--the final and definitive irony and counterpoint is that Lehi's words of prediction were all absolutely realized and fulfilled, as they were based on the promises of the Lord. Laman & Lemuel's words were all proven wrong.


My husband and I, like everybody in this life, have had occasions when a worry or concern could get blown out of proportion. Sometimes he would bring things back into perspective by saying something like, "There's no intelligence in that for us. That's not the voice the Lord uses to speak to us."

So the thought that came to me yesterday after I posted was:
  1. Lehi's predictions came true
  2. L&L's predictions were disproven, and fulfilled in the opposite in every case
  3. my husband reminds me of which voice the Lord uses to counsel, guide and warn.
With these points in my mind, I arrived at an interesting question: What if the words of murmuring are actually (as was the case with L&L) a witness of what is not true--a prediction of what will not be? In the case of L&L you could pretty much negate each statement with a "NOT" and have a pretty fair prophecy on your hands.

So I'd like to devise a little experiment. I'm going to watch for that spirit of doom and the predictions it voices and then put a big "NOT" in front of them, and compare that new statement with the things I know from the voice of the Spirit. Maybe the adversary wouldn't find plaguing us with doubt and worry such a charming idea if he discovered that we used it to more clearly discern the Lord's will and purpose for us, and a trigger to remember the witness of the Spirit.


Hmmmm....

xoxo rd

No comments:

Post a Comment