I'd like to share here the feeling and thoughts that might be of general interest to my Relief Society sisters as I study the Book of Mormon...
First Nephi, Chapter 2: On Faith and Consecration
A few years ago we had a pretty cool FHE when we hauled the kids out on a moment's notice to the refuge of a canyon. We took only the basics and our sleeper tent, and camped out a few hours before we told them that it was a simulation. They loved the adventure and the sense of being "us against the world." Our family devotional around the campfire, as we discussed endtimes and prophets and what matters most, will probably live in the memories of each of us there.
Of course, this little adventure was inspired by the account of Lehi and Sariah's family and the journey that they took. The first thing that caught my attention about 1 Nephi 2 is that the whole wilderness thing started with a dream. I ran that past my kids a few days ago. We talked about what dreams are like--how sometimes they seem really real, and then you somehow know that this just can't be. Like when I colored my hair in a dream last week (I swore never to do that about thirty years ago), totally burned my scalp, lost half of it and had the rest of it quite red and blonde. You know--ballroom red and ballroom blonde. But I digress. Point is--they did this amazing journey on the prompting of a dream!
That's an incredible place to start. You really have to know the Lord's voice to not throw out such a notion with, " "my teeth are falling out, " and "I wore a blanket to school." Lehi obviously did know that voice of the Lord, because he packed up his family and provisions and left everything else behind, and departed into the wilderness. Which brings us to the next thing that caught my attention: the model of consecration.
We make covenants to consecrate ourselves. But what does that really mean? I know of people who have put their kids above their marriage, or their callings above their kids, or their work above their health, or, well--you get the picture. What does it mean to consecrate ourselves? What does the Lord really ask of us? What does it mean to give our all? I think Lehi showed us. He and his family were (at least for the moment) a cohesive unit of consecration. He did not have to separate himself from his wife or children to give all of himself to the Lord. And he did not have to disregard his basic human needs to give all of himself to the Lord. He left behind worldly wealth and concerns and took with him the things with which he was "one": His family and his personal well-being. These, he provided for and carried with him.
The next point I think is also interesting: in verse 6 we read that after three days' journey, he and his family stopped to rest. So: periodic respite is called for. Next, in verse 7, we are told that he built an altar and gave thanks. So: worship and temple service are part of the resting from our labors, and part of the consecrated life.
To sum up: if we are to use the example of Lehi and Sariah's family to instruct us on the principle of consecration, the following points are suggested by I Nephi 2:
- We are familiar with and know the voice of the Lord
- We heed the call by acting on it without hesitation
- We respond unanimously as a family unit (get buy-in from everyone in accepting the call)
- We make provisions for our physical well-being (following principles of health, finances, etc.)
- Leave behind worldly concerns and goals
- Take a periodic rest from our labors
- Take time to worship
- Take time for temple service
I have more thoughts on this chapter, and I think they deserve separate treatment. I'll write more later on: "To Murmur or To Cry". For now, I'm going to attend to the well-being of my family...
xoxo rd

Thanks Rachel! I too love this book. Isn't amazing how everytime you read it, it is a new experience and fits right into whatever you are dealing with in life at that moment. I must say that I have also fallen in love with the D&C this year, thanks to Sunday School. I just love the scriptures.
ReplyDeleteD&C is my son Oliver's favorite, too. Not sure why. I'll have to ask him...
ReplyDeleterd