The Lesson this past Sunday was on keeping focused on the things that mattered most in our lives. The lesson was a talk given in General Conference in April 2009, entitled "We are doing a great work and cannot come down." As we discussed what was important and what was a distraction to us, I was reminded again how we are all alike. Each of us facing trials and challenges and trying to do our very best to keep our lives in harmony with what the Savior would want us to do. Sometimes we succeed in alligning our actions with our conscience, sometimes we have to refocus and try harder. The talk by Pres. Uchtdorf told the story of the light bulb. How a small distraction can lead to disastrous results. I liked the thought that was given about the difference in focusing on a $0.20 light bulb verses the promise of all we can gain in the eternities. We were reminded to keep balance in our lives and not to take good things to excess. We talked of the story of Nehemiah from the Old Testament. How he was unwilling to stop rebuilding the city even though the stress and threats of his enemies were very real. He was unwilling to be distracted. and said "We are doing a great work and cannot come down."
Pres. Uchtdorf challenged us to be like these people and not let the distractions of hurt feelings, temptations, trails, sufferings even ridicule, respond with this saying.
I know and believe that we have a great work to do at this time. We can and do make a difference every day. I challenge each of my fellow sisters to look at their lives and find the balance. Refocus on the things that really matter most in your life. Recommit to doing those things that will let you say as the people of Nehemiah "I am doing a great work and I cannot come down."
Love Sister Michelle Chamberlain
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment